Monday, August 20, 2012

Menu Monday #14

After a super busy day on Friday, which included a fun playdate for the boys, speech testing for Ethan and a doctor's appointment for me, I wasn't feeling the whole cooking thing that evening, so we decided to go out instead. We checked out a local Asian restaurant, the Yong Asian House. It was really, really good! I was pumped about the chance to have some sushi for dinner and I really loved the appetizer I decided to try. I ordered the Roti Canai, which is a crispy and doughy Indian style pancake served with curry sauce. Delicious. I can guarantee that I am going to want to order it every time we visit there now! ;)

On Saturday morning, we had our favorite, Whole Wheat Banana Bread Pancakes. They are the perfect weekend pancake and the boys love them so much that they gobble up nearly as many as Josh and I! Wow! For dinner, we stayed in and I made the Hawaiian pizza that I had been planning to make the night before for dinner. It turned out pretty well and Josh and the boys loved it. I decided to add some spicy pepperjack cheese to counter the sweet pineapple. Topped with a little sriracha sauce after it was served, it had some great flavor!

On Sunday morning, I made a frittata. I had some leftover bacon that I wanted to use, so I combined that with some mozzarella and cheddar cheese and fresh cilantro for a super tasty dish. Topped with a little salsa, it was perfect! On the side, we had toasted whole wheat English muffins topped with a little of the homemade blackberry jam I had made the previous weekend. Yum!

Unfortunately, Ethan came down with something last night. His fever spiked to 102.9 before we even realized he was sick. :( Poor guy does a good job keeping up even when he isn't feeling well! I guess the dreaded sicknesses have begun now that he has started preschool and he'll be exposed to all kinds of lovely germs that we have managed to avoid for the past 3.5 years. Sigh. I am hoping he can make a quick recovery, as he woke up feeling good and fever-free this morning after a long 12 hours of sleep. Picture day is tomorrow at preschool, so I'd hate for him to have to miss it!

Sunday: Whole Wheat Pizza Pancakes and Caprese salad
I need to update the recipe that I have linked to here. I previously made these pancakes using Bisquick mix, but now I make them from scratch using a mixture of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour. They still taste great and I don't think anyone even noticed that I changed them up! ;) This time, I just used the mini pepperonis to save a few calories, but next time perhaps some turkey sausage instead? On the side, I made a delicious Caprese salad. With all of this wonderful basil we have been growing, I wanted to take advantage of it! I used some great local tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil from our back yard, and then I reduced some balsamic vinegar into a glaze to sprinkle on top. It was heavenly!

Monday: Grilled, blackened wild sockeye salmon over brown rice, oven roasted asparagus
Yep, a repeat from last week, but it is oh so good. We're going to enjoy the sockeye salmon while we still can!!

Tuesday: Chicken Pesto Alfredo
I'm going to try this new dish that I found on Plain Chicken's blog. Here's my pin. I am going to modify it a bit by using whole wheat pasta, my own homemade Alfredo sauce (recipe found here under Chicken Alfredo Roll-Ups), and my own basil pesto. With plenty of basil on hand, I'll try my hand at making my own. I love my poblano pesto, so I'm sure this homemade variety will be much better than anything found pre-made in a jar! It will definitely be more time-consuming done this way, but I think the results will be worth it.

Wednesday: Cheeseburgers with baked sweet potato fries
We haven't had a regular burger in awhile now, so we'll go simple this week with grilled burgers topped with a slice of cheddar and served on whole wheat Kaiser buns. On the side, the much-loved sweet potato fries with spicy ketchup!

Thursday: Grilled BBQ pork chops, grilled corn on the cob, baked beans
Another simple meal on the grill. We'll top our grilled pork chops with some Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce. We'll grill the corn on the cob in their husks, then season with butter, salt & pepper. Josh and the boys love baked beans, so I'll let them indulge in some for dinner. While I'm not really a fan, I'll admit that Bush's Grillin' beans (the Southern Pit BBQ variety) are not too shabby.

Friday: Out to eat?
This week, our local county fair is open, so we'll probably try to make it there one evening to check it out. I think the boys will love seeing all of the animals and maybe enjoy a couple rides?? We'll have to see how those look... ;)

Saturday: Cookout??
We are tentatively planning to host dinner this week for one of Josh's co-workers and her significant other, but we'll have to see if everyone can stay healthy!

Happy meal planning to you this week and good luck to the next round of kiddos starting school this week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Show me some love! ;)