Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Pizza Pancakes

I don't think our family has ever met a pancake that we didn't like. Tonight's meal was no exception. While hubby seemed a bit skeptical about the idea of a savory pancake, I had high hopes that our meal would be tasty. I found this recipe for Pizza Pancakes on PlainChicken's blog (a great food blog to check out!) and had to try it. Given our love of pancakes, and the fact that I had never tried making a savory one, I wanted to give it a go. I also thought it would be a super fun meal for Ethan and who doesn't love pancakes for dinner? :)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups Bisquick (I used the Heart Smart version)
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt (I added this ingredient to the original recipe)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk (I used skim)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup pepperoni (I used Hormel's mini version)
  • 1 cup sausage, cooked and crumbled (I used country sausage)
  • 1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced (I omitted this ingredient)
  • Pizza sauce (warmed), for dipping

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the Bisquick, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and garlic salt. Combine the eggs and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.


Fold in the cheese, pepperoni, sausage and mushrooms. Next time I will use a spicier Italian sausage. The country sausage was fine, but I think Italian sausage would be better.


Pour the batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle. I used a skillet on the stovetop, greased lightly with butter. :)


Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until the second side is golden brown. 


Serve with pizza sauce.


Yuuuuummmm....


I struggled with what side/veggie I was going to serve with pancakes for dinner. Then it hit me...tomatoes would be perfect! I decided to make Oven Roasted Tomatoes with Fresh Mozzarella.

Ingredients:
  • 2 medium tomatoes
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste
  • Italian seasoning, to taste
  • 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced into 1 oz portions
Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Slice each tomato into 4 thick slices. Season tomatoes to taste with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. 


Slice fresh mozzarella into 1 ounce portions and place one slice on each slice of tomato. 


Bake for 10 minutes, then turn oven to broil and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until cheese begins to bubble and brown slightly.


Serve while hot!


This will definitely be a dinner that we add to our rotation. Everyone loved it and it was super easy to whip up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Show me some love! ;)