Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Delicious and Semi-Nutritious!

I tried another new recipe this weekend for brunch. These pancakes (original recipe courtesy of how Sweet it is) looked amazing when I pinned them awhile back and given the new diet I we are embracing, I decided it was definitely time to give them a go. I wanted to try something aside from the normal Bisquick pancakes that I make on Saturday mornings. Hubby was skeptical, but I think if you ask him now, he'll admit that he would definitely eat these again. ;) I love that this recipe doesn't require any egg either, in case it is a concern for your little ones. We have been kind of lenient with allowing Noah to eat items containing entire eggs, but didn't need to worry with this one! I made a few changes to the original, so my recipe is below. If you would like to try the original instead, please visit the link. Beware, her pictures are even more appetizing than mine. ;)



Whole Wheat Banana Bread Pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 3 small, ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 Tbsp butter, melted (optional)

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon.


Measure out the milk and add the vanilla extract to it, stirring to combine.


Mix together the dry ingredients and add in the milk and vanilla, stirring to combine. The mixture will be very dry. Add in the mashed bananas and mix well.




Add in the melted butter and stir until the batter is somewhat smooth as smooth as you can get it. :) To save calories, I don't add in the butter anymore. I don't miss it at all!


Heat a large skillet to medium-low to medium heat. Use a small amount of butter or butter spray to grease your skillet. Spoon the batter into the pan, using the back of your spoon to spread the batter.


Cook until bubbles form on top, about 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve hot with vanilla maple glaze (see recipe below).

Vanilla Maple Glaze

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • Dash of salt
Directions:

Start by putting the powdered sugar in a small bowl and add in the maple syrup, stirring until smooth. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until combined well. Pour over pancakes. I usually don't measure these ingredients now, but just go by consistency and taste instead.


This recipe made 9 large, thick pancakes for me and enough glaze for 3-4 servings (other times I have been able to get 12 pancakes out of it). Obviously you can make the pancakes smaller if you would prefer. Three pancakes with glaze was incredibly filling and served as brunch for hubby and I. So, while there were a lot of calories in three pancakes, I didn't need anything else to eat until dinnertime. You could also save quite a few calories (and grams of sugar!) by skipping the glaze. The pancakes were delicious served plain as well. :)


Here is the nutritional info for 1 serving (3 pancakes): 498 calories, 106 g carbs, 4 g fat, 11 g protein, 39 g sugar, 9 g fiber, 459 g sodium, 443 mg potassium.

Here is the nutritional info for 1 serving of glaze (using it as 3 total servings): 139 calories, 32 g carbs, 2 g fat, 0 g protein, 31 g sugar, 0 g fiber, 61 g sodium, 4 mg potassium.

Everyone gobbled up these pancakes. The kids were happy to eat them plain (no need to deal with a sugar high that early in the morning! haha!), while hubby and I indulged in the glaze. ;) I used the original ingredient amounts for the glaze from the blog's recipe and found this to be a huge amount, so I suggest cutting the recipe in half, as I listed above. I was fortunate to have some 100% pure maple syrup from my home state to use, but I am sure any will suffice. I added the cinnamon and salt to the glaze to help cut some of the sweetness, as even with my sweet tooth, it was a bit sweet for me.

My two happy campers, bellies full of yummy goodness! :)



If you try these out, let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say! Show me some love! ;)